Office of Research and Development at The Queen's Medical Center

Determine Which IRB to Use & Frequently Asked Questions
Step 1. How to Submit a Protocol for Scientific Administrative Review (SAR)
Step 2. How to Submit a Protocol for RIRC/IRB Review

Determine Which IRB to Use

There are 4 options for IRB submission depending upon funding type and specialty:

Selection of the appropriate IRB-review mechanism is very important. Please review the table below.

Type of study/funding IRB Submission Where to submit RA number series

ALL oncology-related studies, except retrospective record reviews

Hawaii Cancer Consortium process
  1. Forward protocol and informed consent to for review/editing of QMC-specific issues/changes
  2. Then contact Sandra Sinclair at for further information on Hawaii Cancer Consortium submission process to their IRB


Federally-funded AND requiring both UH and QMC coverage (non-oncology)

UH Cooperative IRB review


Non-federally-funded AND requiring UH and QMC coverage (non-oncology)

MOU review through RIRC
  1. Regular submission process to RIRC at AND
  2. At same time, submit one copy of RIRC submission to UH Human Studies Protection at or Human Studies Program, UH Manoa, 1960 East-West Road, Biomed Bldg., Rm. B-104, Honolulu, HI 96822
  3. Include cover letter to both QMC and UH requesting review under the MOU


All others

RIRC review


Please note:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why is the Scientific Administrative Review (SAR) process required?

A: The SAR process provides feedback to the investigator and the RIRC regarding the accuracy and completeness of their protocol. Components of the submission may be reviewed in varying detail based on the scope and complexity of the study.

Q: Why is the Research and Institutional Review Committee (RIRC/IRB) review process required?

A: The Research and Institutional Review Committee (RIRC):

If you have further questions about the RIRC/IRB review process, contact Rebecca Ohta at 808.691.4512

Q: Is SAR required for renewals, amendments, or revisions to currently active protocols?

A: No, SAR is only required for new protocol submissions. Renewals or amendments of the protocol can be submitted directly to the RIRC.

Q: What is the difference between a proposal and a protocol?

A: A proposal is a general scientific study plan and is usually part of a grant application addressing the overall subject the sponsor wishes fund. A protocol is a detailed scientific study plan usually very specific and describes who is going to do what, when, and where. (See a sample protocol template.)