The Collaborative IRB Training Initiative (CITI) program is a web based training program developed by experts in the "IRB community". It consists of a basic course in the Protection of Human Research Subjects for biomedical and social/behavioral research. Completion of the basic course is mandatory for all research personnel listed on a new application to the QMC RIRC. All personnel who are listed or added to IRB application form(s) (investigators, other research personnel, research coordinators, etc) who will interact with participants for the research study or who will work with identifiable data must complete training. CITI provides email notification of impending expiration. Renewal is every 3 years. CITI training certification from another institution may fulfill the QMC CITI training requirements if the modules completed are the same and have been completed within the accepted timeframe. For confirmation, please contact RIRC@queens.org.
The basic course contains 16 modules. Each module includes reading material and a brief on-line quiz. The format is "open-book" - you may refer back to the text at any time while taking the quiz.
There are additional courses available for RIRC committee members, Good Clinical Practice (GCP) methods and Responsible Conduct in Research (RCR).
You will need to have MS Explorer 6.0 or later or Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later.
CITI Basic Course Registration and Instructions
- Go to https://www.citiprogram.org
- On "New Users Register Here", click "Register Here".
- IMPORTANT: Select your Institution; under "Participating Institutions" - Queen's Medical Center.
- Complete username, password, name, and email address fields. Click "Submit".
- Complete Course Registration Page. [note *required fields]
- Select Curriculum: Biomedical Research Investigators and Key Personnel. Click "Submit".
This is the mandatory course required for new RIRC applications. The other courses are optional and may be changed later by selecting "Add a course or update your learner groups" in the Main Menu screen after registration completion.
- The registration program re-confirms your learner institution selection and asks if affiliated with other institution? Click "No" to continue.
- Return to Learner Menu - Two Sections:
section one: reviews/confirms your profile information
section two: Institutional header, under heading "My Courses": click on "Enter" to start the course.
- Complete ALL the Basic Course modules by reading module text and taking quizzes.
- Review/complete the instructions on institutional (last) module.
- IMPORTANT: Include a copy of your certificate with each new application to the RIRC.
Also, be sure to print your certificate of completion and keep it for your records.
- You have now completed the human subject protection education requirements.
Completion of the CITI basic course takes approximately 4-6 hours, however the program need not be completed at one time. Please Note: Registrants who begin the course but do not log in again for 30 days will be deleted from the system and will have to re-register.